This month is the time to celebrate life and turn over a new leaf. September is Healthy Aging Month, a month dedicated to helping individuals gain a more positive outlook about growing older.
The Healthy Aging Campaign was established 15 years ago, and since then, individuals help others become aware of their physical and mental health, diet, social skills and even financial situations; all factors that contribute to successful aging.
Here are some tips from HealthyAging.net that the aging community can implement during the month of September.
1) Become an intern: You are never too old to start new!
2) Go Back to School: Its never too late! Take classes to refocus your career or enhance your skills.
3) Volunteer: Volunteering gives you the opportunity to possibly travel and give back.
4) Move Your Body…DANCE: Older adults who engage in physical activity are 60% less likely to get dementia. Want to enroll in a dance class? Find a dance studio near you by visiting the National Dance Council of America website.
5) Travel: Go explore new and beautiful places.
6) Rock Out: Have you always had a vision of becoming a rock star? Visit RockCamp.com to make your dream come true.
7) Practice Your Art Skills: Take art classes and learn to paint a beautiful seascape or still life portraits.
8) Play a Sport: Did you play baseball in your younger years? Pick up where you left off and join a local softball team, or any other sport of your choice.
9) Eat Fresh: Add more fruits and veggies to your life. September is still harvest season, so check out your local farmers market.
10) Visit Wine Country: Who doesn’t enjoy a nice glass of wine? Take a trip toNapaValley or enroll in a wine tasting course.
Do you have any healthy aging tips?
– Nicole Brierty